Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Helllooo, June!

Oh my.  I'm just so grateful that May is over.  That was one rough month!  It started out just fine: a trip to the Big Apple with my husband to celebrate our upcoming 10-year wedding anniversary.  It was sweet; minus those moments when I would pick fights with him (what? during our child-free vacation?!) because...

We would get back and be thrown into a wild and quick do-it-yourself move.  That's right: I've not been quilting or blogging or anything of the like because I've been packing boxes and then more boxes and now unpacking and unpacking and unpacking some more.

But - we did it!  I oscillated between thinking that we were crazy for trying to move ourselves (with FOUR kids who still need to be clothed and fed and taken to chemo!) and thinking "We can do this, we can DO this!"  And in the end, we did it!  Well, almost.  Boxes abound... but little by little they are getting unpacked.

So now for some quilt chatter.  Oh how I miss sewing!  Back when I had time for that sort of a thing, I made this cute crib quilt.  I had no idea who it was for, only that I loved the fabrics (ModKid by Patty Young for JoAnn's with some Kona grays thrown in).


 I saw this quilt and decided I want to make one just like it!  It was my first time doing hourglass (sorta) blocks.


I love these fabrics!  I don't know about you, but I think that Patty Young and I pulled off "modern" just swimmingly!


I did some straight-line, 1/4 inch echo quilting.  And thanks to my Machingers, not a single pucker!  (Where oh, where did I go wrong with Matthew's quilt?!)


The backing fabric was on deep discount at JoAnn's, so I snatched that up a few months ago.  It didn't match perfectly, but looked good enough, I thought.  And the binding was some leftover jelly roll strips from my Hashtag Glimma Quilt.


I was so happy to give this quilt to a sweet friend of mine who tried to bid on a quilt or two during the quilt auction in April.  Though she didn't win a quilt, she went on to make a generous donation to the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation anyhow, so it only seemed fitting that I invite her to grab one of my "homeless" quilts.  I'm so happy that her nearly 2-year old twins took to it right away!  


And now for a few kid pictures.  First up: Miss Charlotte Grace.  I think it's been awhile since I've put up a picture of her.  Here she is in a photo that I took in our old home.  She is so sweet during this move.  She says, "New home" like "nyew home" and is quite confused as we drive around our new town.  She does not recognize the roads yet, and so is always asking questions about where we are going.  I can tell that she's trying to get her bearings and memorize our routes around town.


And now for Charlotte's partner in crime: Marian!  This little nugget just loves that Army helmet!  Well, she loves any hat really.  I just love this picture of the two of them: Marian loves to act silly to get Charlotte to laugh, but Charlotte's expression here is saying, "Not amused, Marian."



I love these kids!  Oh, and that sweet shirt that Marian is wearing?  Yes, my friend, Jenn, seems to be not only a great quilter (see here and here), but she embroiders, too!  All my kids received these great, personalized tees that they wear all the time. Thanks again, Jenn!

Okay, I'm off to unpack my one box for the day. I know that doesn't sound too ambitious, but trust me: it'll take me till lunchtime just to tear the tape off the top.  Be warned, moving mothers: children will still need to be fed and diapered.




10 comments:

  1. Moving is known to be one of the most stressful things we do in our lives, so be gentle with yourself Lauren! One box a day is plenty for anyone! And your little girls are so cute! Pretty quilt too- great colours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful colors in this one Lauren! Glad your hectic month is over!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is all about priorities and being realistic. Food and diapers are important. And this is a beautiful quilt. It is always nice to find a perfect home for a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your bold color combinations. Thank you for sharing.
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that quilt! Beautiful fabrics and colors. Good luck with the unpacking, been there and done that! Just remember, this too shall pass :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute 'not impressed' face. I love the colors and fabrics in this quilt, I love the pattern and quilting on it too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you have a lot on your plate!! But your kiddies look happy so I'd say you're doing it right :)
    One box a day is just fine.
    I love your quilt!! I always love a good HST and your colours are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Congrats on the move!!! Beautiful quilt... LOVE the echo stitching on this one. Really makes it pop. Visiting (and new subscriber) from Finish It Up Friday :-)

    ~ Jess ~
    Everything Is Coming Up Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know ya'll were moving! Glad you had a successful move! Charlotte is getting so big!! what a cutie:)

    Love the quilt. The colors are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great fabrics and a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you... Thanks for writing back!