Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Skyfall: A Quilt for Chelse

This quilt is for one of Charlotte's nurses at Duke.  Chelse and I have been friends since we met during our second year of college in Fall 2000.

IMG_9839 by Charlotte's gRACE for a Cure



Well, maybe we've not been "friends" per se, for all that time.  We were in and out of touch since those fun and carefree days of college.  As with probably 60% of my friends, Chelse majored in nursing at the University of Virginia.  I, however, decided to pursue a thoroughly non-marketable degree of a double major in French Language & Literature and Religious Studies.  Yes, always a romantic; rarely level-headed or practical.

Chelse picked out the backing fabric; isn't it great?!

After graduation, we both moved to Northern Virginia and began working.  (Surprisingly enough, I did get a job... teaching unruly middle-school students.)  I remember seeing Chelse once during that first year after college.


I learned then that she had started working as a nurse on the Pediatric Hematology/Oncology floor.  I was so surprised... "Kids with cancer?!"  It seemed so very sad to me, not to mention so strange that someone might want to work in that world.



So, how terribly ironic, wouldn't you say, when I showed up with my daughter, Charlotte, to Chelse's workplace about two years ago now?  Ironic, yes; but also entirely providential.



Here is why I've made a quilt for Chelse: because where I did not previously want to face the sad fact that kids get cancer, Chelse has been tackling it head on for 10 years.  Day in and day out, nurses like Chelse come to work and care for sick kids.  Day in, day out, they come to work and they love our sick kids.  Not knowing what the future holds, they love our sick kids today.


This quilt didn't turn out quite how I wanted it to.  You can see that it is a "flying geese" pattern with a pop of aqua.  Only, if you look at it for longer than a second, you can see that I didn't really make "flying geese." I made half-square triangles, and then the only pattern that was "working" for me in the layout process was this one.  So I named it, "Skyfall" because of the pop of aqua.  It reminded me of geese taking to the sky, while the sky (the aqua portion) is falling.  (And because, come on, it's a great movie.)

This fabulous quilting was done by one of my other "God-sent" friends, Anne.  She even supplied the matching binding fabric!

As I'm writing, it's nearing midnight so maybe it's the hour that is making me all sappy, but oh! how this quilt is like my life!  How it has not "turned out" as I planned, having a child with cancer and disability. (Oh I know, who of us would ever "plan" such a thing, and whose life does turn out "just right?"  Even so...) When Charlotte was diagnosed with this brain tumor at only three-months old, the sky may as well have been falling.  I could not have cared less about the current events of the day; neither the royal wedding nor Bin Laden being killed was of any import to me.  For all I cared, my  world was crashing down around me, because my precious daughter was not expected to live for more than a few more months.

But as we move farther from the devastating time of diagnosis, I see a different kind of "Skyfall" these days.  Most people who are on the patient/family member side of this awful thing called cancer will tell you that some of the greatest people they've met, in all the world, are their doctors and nurses.  I, too, can affirm that.  So instead of insisting that "the sky is falling" as we walk through this world of suffering, I'll try to look for a different "Skyfall."  The wonderful people who care for Charlotte (and for me) are sent from heaven.  I truly believe God sends them into our lives.  Chelse is one of those sweet people.  She faces the hurts and the suffering head on; she loves and helps my daughter.  How very grateful I am that she is both a nurse to Charlotte and a friend to me.

Chelse is on the left, with me, Baby Marian, and our college "Marm," Sarah.

34 comments:

  1. LOVE the colors in that quilt! I've wanted to make a black/white quilt for a while...the aqua is great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Yes, I inherited quite a few black/white scraps. The pop of aqua was Chelse's idea! :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful quilt! Love the backing and quilting too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes... the backing fabric is one of my favorite parts, but I can't take credit - Chelse picked it out :)

      Delete
  3. Everything about this post is inspiring! thanks for sharing and it's a great quilt! Love the quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this quilt! The fabrics and colors are so striking. Fantastic quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this quilt. Love this post. Love Chelse and all the other awesome people who help sweet Charlotte. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful story! I think it would be great to have all these stories and photos in a book.
    So inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilt and post, Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jess! Thanks so much - hope you're enjoying your little quilt, too. That was a fun one to make!

      Delete
  8. very nice quilt!! love the one line of aqua 'geese'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really like the aqua fabrics, too!

      Delete
  9. I'm sure Chelse must have loved this. It really is eye catching. Love the colors in the fabrics you chose. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chelse DOES love it! I'm so glad; it's nice to know that quilts are off to loving homes :)

      Delete
  10. the quilt is beautiful!
    I love your rethinking of "skyfall" - it's all in perspective, right?
    and I bet your major wasn't practical, but really interesting and absorbing, nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a beautiful quilt. The aqua row of geese makes such a great impact!

    Thank you so much for linking up to Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty! It turned out beautiful. I don't have enough black prints to do this, but it sure is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The story is as beautiful and touching as the quilt. You have angels in your life, and I hope that helps you get through the rough stages.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for this post, it has touched my heart..
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com
    ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful story and a wonderful quilt! I love the quilt design!! I am also a nurse, so I am so glad nursing has touched your life :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lauren this came out wonderfully -- what a cherished gift for someone that means so much. Thanks for sharing this wonderful story... and thanks for sharing your heart. God bless.... Karen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lauren, what size were your half square triangles? I love love this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were 5-inches finished. So the quilt is 50 x 70 - sorry I forgot to include those details! Thanks for loving it! :)

      Delete
  18. Beautiful quilt and beautiful reason for making it - nurses definitely make all the difference when a baby or child is involved! It looks great, love the colour scheme!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your quilt is simply beautiful. Your story is heartfelt and moving. Your faith and love have touched me. Praying for you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful quilt and the love story behind it! Truly inspired by the appreciation for life and those who have walked alongside of you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Inspired not by just the quilt but the story. Many prayers and hugs to all.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are an amazing woman living and amazing life, surrounded by loving friends and family. You are truly lucky and sweet Charlotte is fortunate to have been born into such a caring environment. Love the quilt, and the message that goes with it.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you... Thanks for writing back!